Sunday 9 March 2014

Matilda Bay Restaurant

In light of finishing one of the busiest rotations of the year, General Medicine, and ending it on a very good note, I decided to take a mystery guest with me to Matilda Bay Restaurant.

Dress- Herve Lege, Bag- Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAB Bag
Heels- Heatwave 
Make up- Chanel and Lancome


Matilda Bay Restaurant is located at the banks of Swan River with one of the most magnificent views in Perth. And why do I love the restaurant so much?
  • They utilise fresh market seafood and local produce in their dishes 
  • They have an amazing wine list, including desserts in a glass
  • Despite being a fine dining restaurant, the atmosphere is friendly, relaxed yet tasteful. 

Bread to start with. 
It was soft with a crusty skin and they even warm up the bread before they serve it.
So, the salted butter will melt into that soft dough. 
Yummm. A bread monster like me could eat that all day, everyday! 

Entree no.1- Slowly cooked Linley Valley pork belly, served with horseradish coleslaw
The ratio of the fats and lean meat on that pork belly was simply perfect
Slow cooked to perfection. Just melts in your mouth. 
The citrus flavour of the coleslaw offsets the richness of the pork belly. 
8/10- because I think the coleslaw could do a little better in terms of flavours. Thou it offset the richness of the pork, it didn't give me that refreshing punch of flavours.

Entree no.2- Fried squid tubes that were marinated with green chilli, served with cannelloni puree and topped with smoked chorizo
Definitely preferred the squid over the pork.
Try dipping that crispy and spicy squid with some of that puree. 
9/10!!! 

Mains no1: Grilled WA crayfish with tomato, basil and Persian feta salad and charred lemon. 
Honestly, I was a little disappointed with this dish. 
I've tried the seafood trio (consists of crayfish, yabbies and tiger prawns) the last time I was at MBR, it was SOOOOOO much better. 
This crayfish was a little too rubbery for my liking. 
I had a difficult time trying to cut the flesh into segments and dine like a lady.
I was chewing and chewing it, but I still feel like I'm going to choke on it.
Nonetheless,  the cray cray was still fresh and I like how the chef did it with minimal seasoning. 
Would still recommend everyone to give it a go because I think I was just unlucky this time round. 
6.5/10- A tad bit overcooked

Mains no 2- 250g of Wagyu sirloin served with mushroom sauce
It was the perfect medium rare we were looking for. 
That piece of beef is so juicy. You can get more juice out of it than a slice of watermelon
Mushroom sauce was simply the icing on the cake
9/10- because I thought the edges were too well done. Making the first bite disappointing.
Other than that, that's one of the better steaks I've had in Perth and I'm usually not a big fan of steaks. 


Desserts: Banana brioche pudding, pineapple puree and coconut ice cream
Thou we were sooo full, the desserts still managed to impress us. 
The pudding was warm and rich but not sickening because of the pineapple puree
That coconut ice cream was not too creamy and I simply love how generous they are with the desiccated coconut. Tasted so real and rustic without any artificial flavourings. 
9/10. 
They should make this a permanent item on the menu! 

Overall, I had a delightful experience at MBR. The service was fantastic. The waiter even cleaned our table with this little metal thing(to pick up bread crumbs) in between courses. And were super observant  and re-fill our glasses when we are about to ran out of water. 

Thanks to Perth Entertainment book, we managed to get the bill down from $200 to $150. So, if you have the entertainment book, it's definitely worth dining at MBR! 

My belly was truly happy. 
Night everyone! 

p.s. remember to leave a comment on what you want to see, read or hear from us. Follow us on instagram @thehungrydinosaw and me @ccmien for more frequent updates! Xx


Matilda Bay Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon





No comments:

Post a Comment